Vocabulary: Unit 1(from Reading Explorer 3)
Vocabulary: Unit 1
1A PLANET FOOTBALL
- association: An association is an official group of people who have the same job, aim, or interest.
- brand : A brand usually refers to a type of product that is made by a certain company and is known by many people.
- immigrant: An immigrant is a person who has come to live in a country from another country.
- Balkans: The Balkans is a region in southeastern Europe that includes Albania, Bosnia, and Croatia.
- prominent: Someone or something that is prominent is important and well-known.
- FIFA: FIFA is the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (French for International Federation of Association Football). It is the international governing organization of soccer.
1B WHAT MAKES AN OLYMPIC CHAMPION?
- elite: Elite refers to the most powerful, rich, or talented people within a particular group.
- fibers: Fibers are thin, thread-like pieces of flesh that make up the muscles in your body.
- lactate: Lactate is a substance produced by your muscles when you have been exercising a lot.
- oxygen: Oxygen is a colorless gas in the air that is needed by all plants and animals.
- compliment: If you compliment someone, you say something polite to them to show that you like their appearance, or approve of what they have done.
- splash: A splash is the sound made when something hits water or falls into it.
Last modified: Friday, 11 June 2010, 8:48 PM